Jobs for the Future in Regional Areas
Posted on by email@example.com
Senate establishes a Select Committee
On 31 July 2019, the Senate resolved to establish a Select Committee into the Jobs for the Future in Regional Areas. The committee will inquire and report on the following matters:
- new industries and employment opportunities that can be created in the regions;
- the number of existing jobs in regional areas in clean energy technology and ecological services and their future significance;
- lessons learned from structural adjustments in the automotive, manufacturing and forestry industries and energy privatisation and their impact on labour markets and local economies;
- the importance of long-term planning to support the diversification of supply chain industries and local economies;
- measures to guide the transition into new industries and employment, including:
- community infrastructure to attract investment and job creation;
- the need for a public authority to manage the transition;
- meaningful community consultation to guide the transition; and
- the role of vocational education providers, including TAFE, in enabling reskilling and retraining;
- the use of renewable resources in Northern Australia to build a clean energy export industry to export into Asia; and
- any related matters.
Submission closing date is 6 September 2019.
The committee is to present its final report on or before 4 December 2019.