Duplicate of Local Government Economic Development Network
RDA Tasmania proudly support the local government sector's work in economic development.
About the Network
The purpose of the network is to make it easier for councils to do economic development by creating a community of practice that shares knowledge, experience and ideas. The network is succeeding when members feel better at the job because they know who to ask for help and are comfortable to contact each other.
How it Started
Tasmania has 29 councils, and they are all involved in economic development. Some have economic development staff, and others pick up economic development within other work, for example; strategic planning, planning, community development, tourism, communication, and place-making.
Networks are an approach commonly used by professional bodies and industry clusters to support peer-to-peer learning.
In 2018, a first meeting was held in Hobart which was well received, followed by meetings in Devonport and Launceston. In late 2019 RDA Tasmania offered to lead the network as it fitted with their objective to support economic development opportunities.
- Three networks meeting a year; one in the south, and the north and one in the north-west.
- Meetings shine a light on the economic development work of a council or explore a theme.
- Share news about the network via a newsletter.
- Facilitate connections between councils looking for advice or people to collaborate with.
- Works closely with Economic Development Australia who are the peak body for economic development professionals.
Thanks to the councils who host meetings and the contribution made by guest speakers and particpants who make the events interesting and informative.
15th September 2021
22nd June 2021
22nd April 2021
28th August 2020
26th May 2020
27th February 2020
Plans and Strategies
Examples of local government documents to support economic development:
- 2020 Kingborough - Kingston Place Strategy
- 2020 King Island - Economic Recovery Strategy
- 2020 Kentish - Economic Development Strategy 2020-25
- 2020 Glenorchy - Economic Development Strategy 2020-25
- 2020 Hobart - Covid-19 Economic Response and Recovery Framework and Action Plan 2020–22
- 2020 Brighton - Industrial Estate Place and Brand Strategy
- 2019 Northern Midlands Economic Development Framework
- 2019 Northern Midlands - Priority Projects
- 2019 Flinders Island - Study of Economics, Business and Social Structure
- 2019 Cradle Coast Futures Plan
- 2019 Brighton - Socio Economic Profile and Opportunity Assessment
- 2018 Hobart - Community Vision
- 2017 Northern Midlands - Priority Projects
- 2017 Launceston - Economic Development Strategy
- 2017 Latrobe (Revised 2020) - Economic Development Strategy
- 2016 Murchison - Sustainable Murchison 2040 Plan
- 2016 Clarence - Economic Development Plan
- 2015 SERDA - Economic Infrastructure Development Study
- 2015 Huon Valley - Economic Development Strategy
- 2014 Southern Midlands - Economic Development and Land Use Strategy
- 2014 Kentish - Economic Profile
- 2014 Central Coast - Economic Development Framework
- 2013 Break O Day - Economic Development Strategy
- 2011 Burnie Economic Development Plan
- 'Why Economic Development Matters' infographic